The History Of Harry Clarke & Sons Ltd
Sheffield born Harry Clarke formed the company in 1919 in the small Wharfedale village of Linton. He was soon joined by quarry worker Bill Evans, who worked for the firm into his seventies. Harry’s sons Alan and Peter joined the company in the late 1930’s, Alan as an RAF qualified Electrician, Peter as an apprentice under his father’s supervision. Alan later left the business following the onset of Parkinsons Disease but his wife Alison continued her role as Secretary until her retirement. Peter retired in 1992 leaving his youngest son Richard as the sole proprietor.
The family business bought out rival firm G. Fawcett Ltd in 2004 and moved into purpose built offices in Northallerton in 2006. The Northallerton company continues as H Clarke and Sons Ltd and specialises in large heating care contracts and facilities management for commercial clients. Clarke’s Environmental Ltd (specialist licensed asbestos removal and management) was formed in 2006 by our M.D. and is now enjoying success with industry awards working all over Yorkshire and beyond. The Clarke group of companies now employ more than 100 trained professionals with group Managing Director Richard Clarke ensuring that each section maintains the strong family ethos, friendly service and professional approach which has helped the company through over ninety years of business.